Monday, March 4, 2013

Artist Showcase: Fred McLovin

Hey guys, SoulBrix here with another Artist Showcase. Tonight, we have Fred McLovin!



I've been following this guy for some time now. He improved a LOT. He really controls his basses and beats, and surely knows how to create a beat that keeps people going and going and going - all the waaaaaay. I wish I was at this guys level. But let's get to know this fella a bit more, shall we?






Brix'd - How did you come up with your name?
Fred McLovin - My real name is Frédéric Rabouin Milot and my all-time favorite comedy is Superbad. In Superbad there’s one of the funniest character ever who is called Fogell played by Christopher Mintz-Plasse. One of the scene is Fogell showing his fake ID to his friend with the name of McLovin. No first name, only McLovin… So that’s how I came up with the name. I was inspired by the movie so it’s Fred McLovin



When did you start producing and how bad was your first song?
I started producing about 3 or 4 years ago but got serious about only a year ago. My first song was dope, well… in my opinion… at the time haha. It was pretty bad, no structure, no energy, just a daft punk sample (technologic) with an odd bassline…

What’s the weirdest song you have ever done?
I would say my first song haha. I mean it’s not even fun to listen to, it is just annoying.

Have you ever been high while producing? Were you enlightened?
Never been high and never will be. I hate the fact that EDM is associated with drugs. To me, taking drugs to enjoy the music is a total disrecpect to the artist and the culture itself. Actually, my drug is the music. My drug is the rush I get when I produce and find a sick drop that I love.

What do you seriously hate the most on the production process?
I don’t hate but I don’t like doing percussions. I’m really lazy when it comes down to percussion patterns. And you will notice it in my music, there’s no fancy percussion work in it. This is one point I’m trying to improve tho cause I think good percussions can give life to a project.

What’s your record for hours spent producing in a row?
I’d say 10 hours, but I don’t like doing long sessions cause you ears get tired.

What song makes you climb walls and scream like Tarzan?
Way too many to name only one. But at the moment I’d say anything from Sick Individuals, Torro Torro and Congorock. Also one track I really love to play and hear in a set is Alvaro – Make The Crowd Go.

What’s your favorite sample ever?
Bass shot #153, Vengeance Electroshock Vol.2 ! You hear it in a LOT of production lately… ;)

What do you use to create music? What is your favorite tool?
I use Ableton, my favorite synths would be Massive and Sylenth. As for effect I could not live without Izotope Trash 2 and Sugarbytes WOW

Do you drink, eat, smoke or inhale something to inspire you? What gets you going?
I eat, I love eating ! My favorite food is poutine. Google it, we only eat it here in Quebec.

What new artists do you recommend to our readers?
Jason Risk… This guy is special. He’s constantly charting on beatport lately, at some point he had 4 tracks in the top100 electro house. He’s getting a lot of support from big names like TJR and J-Trick. Give him a year and you will see him everywhere.

Got something else you'd like to say?
2013 started off pretty good for me. My 2 tracks EP Shakedown got released on Peak Hour Music at the end of January and quickly got massive support. The EP itself reached the #31 spot in the elctro house release chart. The single Like This reached the #52 spot in the electro house singles chart. Like This was featured on the secret weapon chart of January and the EP was on the front page in the staff pick section. The single Shakedown was podcasted by Jordy Dazz and played live by Marcel Woods. Showtek also supported Shakedown. Now it’s time for a follow up and I got some nice collabs and remix incoming along some original too. Just got to find the time to finish them all!


Alright, as you can see, this guy is climbing the electronic stairs! Keep him on your sight, and bang your head to his monster drops, you won't regret it!


Want to hear the man himself mixing some tunes for a full hour? Check out this podcast WHOAH!

--

Alright Fred, thanks for your time and keeep those beats bangin' heads and those drops melting faces!

SoulBrix out


No comments:

Post a Comment