Sunday, March 3, 2013

Artist Showcase: Rystar

Today, in the first Artist Showcase, we have Rystar!

Rystar is a friend of mine, I met him in the IDMforums a while back. Although young, he surely knows how to produce wicked tracks. He doesn't stick to just one genre too, producing tracks that range from Progressive House, Glitch Hop, Dubstep, Drum'n'Bass, Electro, and others. I really do believe this guy has a bright future in the music scene, he just needs a push! Anyway, let's hear it from the man himself:





Brix'd - How did you come up with your name?
Rystar - Back in 2006 I was very active inside forums. I used to go by multiple names before, but one day I discovered Ristar for the Genesis and the name just stuck with me. It was a really pleasant game to play and Ristar didn't shine enough (no pun intended) because Sega already had the blue hedgehog as a mascot. I have used that name for everything since then: forums, games and now, my producer alias.



What was your first song? Can we hear it?
I always had a lot of experiments on Fruity Loops, but my first track ever "completed" was Per Example, back in 2010. I'm sure I have more interesting stuff to listen to, but I can hook you up with it just for the trivia.

How long have you been producing music?
Like I said before, my first completed track dates back to 2010. I could say I started during the first months of 2010, but just discovering the basics of a program shouldn't count as producing.

What’s the weirdest song you have ever done?
I don't remember doing anything that I could consider weird, just the usual experiments with pads and filters, but nothing that I would call a "song".

Have you ever been high while producing? Were you enlightened?
Excited, yes. High, never. To quote NeoGeo: "Winners don't use drugs!"

What do you seriously hate the most on the production process?
A constant DAW crashing, a stressed out CPU and not being able to work at a high enough volume.

What’s your record for hours spent producing in a row?
It's not something I'm used to keep track of, but I believe my max was a full day with very short brakes. Once I'm pumped and the track is coming out nicely, I don't stop.

What song makes you climb walls and scream like Tarzan?
Right now the track that really gets my hyped up is Carl Cox's remix of Dominator by Human Resource.

What’s your favorite sample ever?
The Amen Break. I know it sounds super-cliche, but it's a sample that doesn't stop surprising me. Entire genres originated from this sample. There's no other way to look at it: it's on of EDM's most iconic symbols.

What do you use to create music? What is your favorite tool?
My ears! They're the essence of any production. As for software I dont' deviate too far from the standard set: Ableton, Native Instruments softsynths, the usual.

Do you drink, eat, smoke or inhale something to inspire you? What gets you going?
Some of my tracks were born with a can of energy drink on the side, but it's not a norm for me. You just need to have a clear head for producing.

What new artists do you recommend to our readers?
Just one right now: Kill Paris! Amazing stuff from this artist that insists in keeping his tracks free.

Alright, I hope you got to know Rystar a little better. And to get to know to his music, check out these tracks he made. If you like them, download them!




Wanna check out more of his sounds and follow him? Go to Rystar's Soundcloud.

No comments:

Post a Comment